We are very pleased to announce that we have released updated mobile-ready versions of the HEAT maternal and child care modules for our OppiaMobile platform. This work has been made possible through funding from mPowering Frontline Health Workers and UKAID (DFID).
Although previously we had made available summary versions of all the HEAT modules, we now have the whole module content adapted for mobile delivery.
Which modules have been adapted?
So far, we have adapted the following HEAT modules:
- Antenatal Care (Parts 1 & 2)
- Labor and Delivery Care
- Postnatal Care
- Integrated Management of Newborn and Childhood Illness (Parts 1 & 2)
Soon we will release adapted versions for the remaining 7 modules covering other public health issues such as communicable and non-communicable diseases, family planning and adolescent/youth reproductive health.
How have the modules been adapted?
The HEAT modules were originally written for the upgrade training for the Health Extension Programme in Ethiopia and is the approved upgrade training by the Ethiopia Federal Ministry of Health.
For the mobile-ready adaptation process, we have removed specific references to Ethiopia and Health Extension Workers, along with cross references between different sections of the content. We anticipate that this will make it much easier for other organisations providing frontline health worker training to reuse/repurpose the content for their needs. However, the original full versions with all the Ethiopian references are also available.
We view the content adaptation as an iterative process, so we will constantly be working to improve the content with additional media and quiz content. We also welcome any feedback and suggestions on how to improve the adaptations (see below).
How can I access them?
There are 3 different ways to access the content – depending on your needs:
- You can download the modules to run offline on your Android smartphone directly from the OppiaMobile learning app.
- You can browse the content directly on our Moodle server. Although this applies the same stylesheet as when the content is viewed in the OppiaMobile app, the navigation and layout isn’t identical to the mobile app. This option is likely to be useful if you’d like to get a feel for the subject areas covered by the modules and the activities included.
- You can download the Moodle backup versions of these courses. This option is designed for you to be able to install the courses on your Moodle server for the purposes of providing localised versions, perhaps to fit your curriculum, or with references to the country/region in which you are delivering training.
Can I reuse/adapt these courses?
Yes certainly, all the courses are released under a Creative Commons license, and we have specifically chosen media content which is also released under an open license. So you are free to adapt these courses to fit your needs.
Have any questions or would like to provide feedback?
We welcome any questions, feedback or suggestions on these courses or if you would like to discuss with us how you can integrate mobile learning into your health worker training programme. Please contact us at: email@example.com